As a leading aerospace wiring harness and military cable assemblies manufacturer, Carr Manufacturing Company, Inc. provides a wide variety of cables with simple and complex configurations. We utilize our years of experience of supplying aerospace-grade cables and wires for prime defense contractors to provide the best quality products. Our assemblies support various applications, such as unmanned aerial vehicles, satellites, avionics, inter-shelter communications, and more.
Our cable assemblies are designed to maintain the performance of electrical systems in tough aerospace and military environments. They are manufactured to be rugged, plus support signal integrity throughout an operation. Our cable assemblies can be used in various military and aerospace applications, including:
- Marine systems
- Airborne systems
- EMI sensitive equipment
- Field communication links
- Military ground equipment
- Inter-shelter communications
- Remote weapons control links
- Mobile tactical field command platforms
What Are the Requirements of Aerospace or Mil-spec Cables?
When it comes to aerospace and mil-spec cables, manufacturers have to consider a variety of factors by asking the following questions:
- What function will these cables serve?
- What environment will they be used in?
- What challenges may they face and how much wear and tear may they incur?
It is important to consider all industry specifications that your cable assembly must comply with. There are strict governmental standards which must be adhered to, so it is essential to keep that in mind when choosing the appropriate cable assembly for your product.
Considering the cable’s weight is also crucial as it can affect important aspects such as the aircraft’s speed, maneuverability, and drag. While heavyweight cable assemblies are stronger, they may have a detrimental effect on the aircraft’s performance.
Mil-spec, or military specification, are standards that address the above mentioned considerations. Mil-spec standards are overseen by various governmental agencies and account for a wide range of situations and environmental factors that could affect the integrity of a military cable assembly.
The governmental bodies and regulatory standards that oversee mil-spec and aerospace cables and wire harnesses include:
- NEMA. Nema, or National Electrical Manufacturers Association, was established in 1962 and has been responsible for defining and publishing standards related to all electrical equipment in the United States. These standards are intended to drive the safety, functionality, and performance of products that utilize electrical components.
- QPL. QPL, or Qualified Products List, includes a list of products that have been tested for compliance with governmental regulations, providing guidance for manufacturers when designing cable assemblies.
- IPC/WHMA-A-620 Class III. This standard was established by the WHMA, or Wire Harness Manufacturers Association. This regulation is the single, unified standard for cable assembly production across the industry.
- MIL-STD-454. This is the standard requirement for electronic equipment to be used in a military or defense capacity.
Features and Testing Procedures
Since 2006, Carr Manufacturing Company Inc. has delivered custom made cable assemblies to our clients through our seamless production process. From the design phase to final delivery, we pride ourselves on working with our customers to create innovative solutions. Our industry expertise combined with using the latest technology and design techniques allow us to deliver quality products with rapid turnaround times.
We perform several quality and functional tests including:
- Several in-process inspections
- Final electrical testing of each and every product
- Random testing of final products to validate the earlier tests
We source the highest quality raw materials and utilize best-in-class service to manufacture standard and custom cable assemblies for critical applications.
Our mil-spec and aerospace cable assemblies are designed to meet the exacting needs of each industry and are manufactured with the following features:
- Assemblies can be used at high altitudes and in a wide range of temperatures.
- Harnesses are manufactured to ensure seamless functioning even in high vibration applications.
- They can be used in high and low voltage applications.
- They can be used in harsh environments such as war zones and space communication applications.
- Custom mil-spec connectors are offered with benefits such as corrosion resistance, high temperature operation, and vibration resistance.
- They offer flexible circuitry. Backplane systems with custom terminations can be designed to meet application requirements.
Cable Assemblies from Carr Manufacturing
Aerospace and military cable assemblies have to be able withstand harsh environments and other industry related hazards. At Carr Manufacturing, we have nearly 15 years of experience providing innovative, custom made cable assemblies and wiring harnesses that adhere to the strictest military and aerospace standards. For more information or to get started on your cable assembly solutions, contact us today.
Visit our Project Gallery to view our accomplishments including various standard and custom designed products.