A cable assembly is the lifeline of any electrical system. Even if one cable fails, it will result in costly system downtime. Cable failure is a problem that most industrial organizations face at some point. There has to be a solution to ensure that all electrical processes are running smoothly, and the workflow is maintained.
How to Maintain the Performance of Electric Wires & Cables?
Follow these few simple steps to ensure that your cable assemblies are functional.
- Choose An Effective Approach: Choose a cable that will be suitable for the application environment. Ensure that the cable will be able to meet the following points:
- Ampacity (Carrying Capacity)
- Ambient Temperature
- Mechanical Strength
- Prevent Damage: During installation, take note of the minimum bend radius and avoid twisting the cables. This can create mechanical stress and weaken the conductors. Avoid any form of impact that may damage the jacket. Keep the wire & cable away from harmful elements such as fire, water, or oil. Update the maintenance personnel on the cable’s limitations and how they can reduce cable failure.
- Make Cable Reel Adjustments: If a cable is exposed to harsh environment, for example, high temperatures, reverse the cable ends regularly to prevent one end from being exposed to the environment for too long. If there is a possibility of an overload, de-rate the cable while on the reel. Ensure to note any voltage drop.
- Make Repairs: Inspect the cables and make any repairs that are required before the cable is damaged beyond repair. If you find any cut or crushed cables, remove and replace them immediately. Always keep some spare cables in the facility for emergencies.
By following these simple points, and making necessary adjustments, you can ensure that your cable assemblies will provide outstanding service for years to come.